Sunday, September 14, 2008

Update

It's been a while, life keeps on happening. I got to my best friends wedding as best man, that went off well. I quit my old job, which is I think going to be a good thing in the long term. I also left Madison, WI at long last. I'm back in Milwaukee, looking for work and cleaning up loose ends of my life. It hasn't been the easiest time, but I'm getting better as it goes along. House Tyrell's words seem to work for me right now, "Growing Strong" is a fit way to look at this current epoch.

In book news I just finished Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, it was a good read, and an enjoyable extrapolation from Snow Crash. I didn't really like the ending, as he clips it off once he gets bored with the part of the book that interests him, which leaves large chunks of plot sitting around uncompleted. I understand the reasoning, but I think that this shows a lack of editor's power, not a lack of ability as a writer. In his earlier works, the ending is given despite the "interesting" portion of the book having been completed earlier. As he gains a name for himself and gets more power within the process of his book writing, he has less reason to listen to an editor making suggestions.

I'll be back to talk about detective fiction later.

No comments: