Monday, January 21, 2008

Doom doomity doom doom doom

I'm in a bit of a moral quandary. I greatly dislike Eli Manning, but can't support the Patriots either. Leaving me at a loss last night once I got home from watching the Packer game. Still being in the denial phase, I went ahead and sought out the pulpiest book I could find. I'm pleased to report that I succeeded.

Death or Glory is set in the Warhammer 40k universe, is told in an autobiographical fashion, and has amusing footnotes from the editor of the biography. It's utter pulp fiction, but I love that it's well done pulp. Cain is a reluctant hero, longing for comfort and safety. The type of man who would have been at home running an upscale bordello, but for his placement it the universe. Watching him try to justify doing the right thing as being selfish amuses. And reading the book is a quick way to remove yourself from a reality in which your team managed to lose in overtime at home for the championship. Damn... so much for denial.

No comments: