Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Keeping things Practical

I find that I can not escape from Half Price Books without spending $50+. My latest trip did, however net me some new material. I've picked up The Confusion, which should please the hza, and a lending copy of The Uplift War and Startide Rising. But at the end of the day I wonder if I'm going to end up needing a new apartment just to store books in.

While taking some time off from The Confusion I reread Practical Demon Keeping mainly because I pulled it off the shelf while putting other books up. I have an advanced readers version from my family's days running a bookstore, and I've enjoyed his books ever since. This first one sets up the story of his fictional California town, Pine Cove, and tells the story of what happens when a demon is brought by for a visit. While this isn't as refined a work as Lamb, it delights in jokes about the quirky people who make up the town and the insanity of the perfectly ordinary. Also, this is Moore's only book that doesn't reuse a character from an earlier piece. Which is saying it's his first novel.

No comments: